Pages

Monday, February 27, 2012

Happy Birthday to Me

Today is the day I turn 27 years old. Amazingly I feel no different than yesterday. I know, so very hard to believe. The couch is my friend today as I have made sure I was not scheduled for internship hours. I might just be sitting home by myself, but you better believe I am not going to sit bored in an office on my birthday. E will be home this evening and we will have dinner and go bowling, or at least that is the plan so far. Birthdays are my favorite holidays, for they encourage us to focus on celebrating one single person and showing them our love, yet I have always felt kind of strange about my own. Although, I must say, since E and I came into each others lives, my birthdays have been much better received and something I look forward to a little more than before.

Rather than show you gifts for myself, I'll show you a few of the gifts I have taken to accumulating for our unborn baby.

E and I have started a monthly date tradition, where each of us plans a date for the month. In January my date was an afternoon of painted pottery and pizza. That's where I created this little cardinal bank. My Mom always told me that "red birds bring surprises" and it is something I carry with me to this day. Each time I see a red wing fly past, I wonder what surprise there is in store for me. I plan on sharing this sentiment with our kids as well. So, this little bank was made especially for our first-born, painted with love and joy on a cold winter's afternoon in January.


It also has a little secret message on the bottom. This was painted at a time when we had just found out our news and it felt so daring and secretive to label this piece with "Mom", a title I will grow into within the next year.


These other little farm-themed goodies were purchased and tucked away before I even knew I was pregnant. Over new years holiday my sister and I traveled to a children's boutique to use a groupon on the brink of expiration, and though I had no groupon in hand, I left with these two little treasures. My life is most greatly influenced by the times I have spent in the country and my three months living and working on a farm sanctuary. These cotton creations may not bring me back to those times, but they sure do remind me of the life I want to live and the life I want to give our children. Plus, there is no denying they are adorable.


So here I am - 27 years old and with a life-changing year ahead of me. 74 days until graduation, 103 days until we are married, and 204 days until our babies due date. 27 will definitely not be boring.

Sara

6 comments:

  1. Happy golden birthday, Sara! Twenty-seven on the 27th! It sounds like it's going to be a golden year, too.

    That little bank is so sweet. I love that you're collecting things for your little one already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Noelle. I love that you pointed out that I was 27 on the 27th. I didn't even realize it, if you can believe it, and it made my otherwise not-so-awesome day a little happier by thinking of it in that way.

      Delete
  2. I forgot to say this in the email, but Happy Birthday! I hope E spoiled you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh 27 on the 27th!!! I was pregnant when I turned 28 on the 28th (although that was 2.5 years ago). Happy Belated Birthday to you!! I love your idea of alternating months of date planning. How fun and creative... I might steal that idea.

    It's fun to start accumulating stuff for the baby to be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely steal that idea! :) It's fun to have something to look forward to and I think it's good to let one person plan, but for both people to be willing participants. One of E's dates was to the History Museum which I wasn't as excited for, but I ended up loving it and we even became members. You never know what will happen. :)

      And yes, the accumulating is so much fun. I only have little tids and bits for now, but once we are a bit further along, and quite frankly, when I have time, we will be upping the anty. :)

      Delete