I have been trying to spend a little time each day with my personal journal and a little book that is good for those of us who need a bit of help battling our demons. That little yellow book sounds a little hokey to many, of that I am sure, but it has helped me put pen to paper many times, releasing things that are troubling my soul. While this kind of work is therapeutic and necessary on many a level it can also leave a gal feeling drained. Drudging up the past and putting it down in ink is one of the hardest things I make myself do. I cannot deny how immensely helpful this practice is and while I know I will continue, it can also leave me feeling pretty down. After an especially hard session I knew some counter-combat was in order, in the form of a list titled, "What do I love about me?", which reads as follows:
- I love that I am creative.
- I love that I have compassion for people and animals alike.
- I love that I have allowed myself to love.
- I love my dimples.
- I love that I spent many childhood moments in the country and how it shaped me.
- I love my interests in nature, simplicity, and things with a story and history.
- I love my ability to connect with young children.
- I love my decorating and aesthetic sense.
- I love that I am allowing myself to become a mother and fulfilling that dream.
- I love that I have put in hard work to get where I am over the past six or so years.
Writing that list was hard for me, but it did the trick of turning my mood around a bit and getting me focused on the positive. I hope one day to not have to dig so deeply when making such a list and to be able to rattle off a list ten times this size in a tenth of the time, but this is a start, and it feels good. I encourage you to do the same if you need to shift your mood and if you share it please do let me know. Otherwise, if you don't mind saying, what is one thing you love about you?