Pages

Monday, June 25, 2012

Wedding Details: Our Vows

For our ceremony we wanted something that reflected who myself and E are individually, to each other, and as a partnership. We had one of my long-time friends officiate the ceremony and worked with her to create something that would be personal, non-religious, and with a focus on friendship. We each chose a reading in place of repeating standard vows or writing our own. The readings we found and chose to have as part of our ceremony were the perfect fit and now hold a very special place in both of our hearts. I've transcribed them both below.

A large serving platter with a portion of our vows, created together the day after our wedding.

From Me to E - words by Roy Croft
I love you not only for what you are, but for who I am when I am with you.
I love you not only for what you have made of yourself ,but for what you are making of me. I love you for the part of me that you bring out;
I love you for putting your hand into my heaped-up heart
And passing over all the foolish, weak things that you can’t help dimly seeing there
And drawing out into the light all the beautiful belongings
That no one else had looked quite far enough to find.
I love you because you are helping me to make of the lumber of my life 
not a tavern but a temple.
Out of the works of my every day not a reproach but a song.
I love you because you have done more than any creed could have done to make me good. And more than any fate could have done to make me happy.
You have done it without a touch, without a word, without a sign.
You have done it by being yourself.

From E to Me - words by Bob Dylan
Ever since you walked right in, the circle’s been complete.
I’ve said goodbye to haunted rooms and faces in the street.
To the courtyard of the jester which is hidden from the sun
I love you more than ever and I haven’t yet begun.
You breathed on me and made my life a richer one to live.
When I was deep in poverty you taught me how to give.
Dried the tears up from my dreams and pulled me from the hole.
Quenched my thirst and satisfied the burning in my soul.
I love you more than ever, more than time and more than love.
I love you more than money and more than the stars above.
Love you more than madness, more than waves upon the sea.
Love you more than life itself, you mean that much to me.

E somehow made it through without crying, but this emotional lady just couldn't do it and apparently caused a domino effect of crying throughout many of the guests. What can I say, already emotional gal + pregnancy = almost guaranteed tears during such a special time and when reading something so meaningful and true to my love.

Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment