Pages

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Perspective


Yesterday left me writing about how I needed to change the way I spent my time, and the universe seemed to agree on the necessity of that lesson as it kept coming on strong as the day continued on. 

You see, in the evening I was talking to E about how bummed I was that so many people were going to have to miss our baby shower, for I had been looking forward to seeing everyone and celebrating together and it seems the number keeps dwindling and dwindling. Really it was not a big deal as we can see everyone another time and a smaller number of attendees will not take away from the joy of our celebration, but I was wasting energy by fretting about it. Well, as if to show me what was really important, Leroy began choking while eating his supper and became unable to get enough oxygen. 

With a quick call to the vet and a dash to the car we got him there in time, but there was one achingly long moment that I wasn't sure what would happen and he lost breath completely. Luckily the vet came in soon after and he was rushed off to be put on oxygen where he stayed for half an hour or so as we waited to hear what was happening. It seemed things worked themselves out with the aid of the oxygen and the vet providing syringes of water, and I am so thankful he is okay. None of us are sure what was really happening, but he is stable now and once again on medication and under the close watch of a worried mama. I just know that once he returned to the examination room table and he climbed right up my baby bump and into my arms, I realized how silly and unimportant everything I had been fretting over is. 

What is really important is that we are all safe and healthy and have each other to love. I may worry about how everything is going to work out or want to make moments into something larger and more extravagant than needed, but that is not necessary, because we have each other, and that really is all that matters and all that we need. 

Sara

8 comments:

  1. Life is amazing sometimes isn't it, right when you need a little life lesson it is there waiting for you.  Sorry this one had to be so hard, I hope Leroy is feeling better now and that you okay too.

    Love your quote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that Emily Dickinson quote! Glad your puppy is doing ok, give him a belly rub for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad he is doing OK. Hug.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! He seems to be doing much better now. We'll just hope that doesn't happen again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, life seems to give us what we need right when we need it, so long as we have our eyes open to realize it. We are all doing much better now and I'm hoping we won't have another scare like that again. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMGosh, poor Leroy but I'm glad he's OK. It's great when things are put in perspective. The other day I was complaining about how Mateo is still not sleeping through the night when my boss said, "Perspective - my friend's baby suddenly just stopped breathing and she had to do baby CPR (the baby was on some new meds and the prescribed dosage ended up being too high) and they ended up spending the night in the hospital. So stressful.... Mateo can take as much time as he needs to start sleeping through the night. And I'm sorry you had to go through that stress with Leroy, but it seems like you internalized it well :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, oh my gosh, perspective can come to us in the most unexpected ways, but those lessons are so important.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Sarah. He's doing so much better and I'm so relieved. Many belly rubs are being delivered with great regularity. :)

    ReplyDelete