Pages

Monday, July 30, 2012

Project: Cloth Wipes

We have been busy beavers around the Saric homestead, working on little lady's room, taking care of our furry crew, and working on acquiring and creating all the things we need for our baby girl. One of my latest projects is below, colorful cloth wipes.


We plan on using cloth diapers (these and these) for covering our little lady's bottom and wanted to use cloth wipes as well. Since we are going to be doing frequent laundry to keep her diapers clean it will be easy enough to throw these in as well.

It took me a good chunk of hours spread out over the past two days to create these, but if you have access to a serger you could whip these up in a matter of minutes. While I am not yet so lucky to have one of those lovely machines, I do have a sewing machine I love way more than is probably normal and that I am so glad to have time to finally work with.


I used three yards of 100% cotton flannel to create 60 wipes. Prior to doing anything I gave all of the fabric a run through the wash to make sure it was clean and through the drier to allow for any pre-shrinking. Each wipe started by cutting out 6.75"x6.75" squares with right sides facing each other. I then sewed the pieces together with a 1/4" seam and leaving a small opening to flip them right side out. Once they were all sewn I did the flipping, making sure to poke out all corners (I used a dull pencil for this purpose). At that point I tucked the un-sewn fabric into its hole to be even with the rest and ironed them flat. From there it was just a matter of giving the entire outer edge a zig-zag top-stitch to keep them flat. A bit time consuming but super simple.


In the end I found myself with a pile of 60 reusable cloth wipes that measure 6.25"x6.25" each and cost just $14 and a chunk of my time. We'll keep some in a repurposed disposable wipes container with diluted Dr. Bronners Baby soap and others around for patting things dry, wiping cheeks and boogers, or whatever other uses we can find for them. I'm tempted to snag a few for my night-time face wipe-down because these suckers are super soft and feel great...not that I've been stroking my skin with them or anything...


So that's that. Like I said, super simple, and definitely worth the effort. Not only will having made these myself save us a lot of money, but there are other reasons it was important for me to take this route:
-We try to reduce and re-use as much as we can, so I am comforted by the fact that these can be used multiple times each and even then will not end up in the garbage. 
-I like to know what's going on my body and am sure to feel the same about little lady, so it's nice to have control over what soap or additives are being put on her bottom.
-Fulfillment of making things myself. If you are a craftsman of any sort you are sure to know the feeling of having created something with your own hands and then using it in your everyday life. There's nothing like it. 

Have you made anything yourself lately? Do you use cloth wipes for your baby bottoms? Next on my list is curtains for her room. I have the fabric, but have used up all my white thread. Hopefully I can get to the store and crank those out tomorrow so I can move on to the blankets I have in the works. I can guarantee you that between the two of us there are at least five or more projects going on around here at all times, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Sara

linking up with Frugally Sustainable

19 comments:

  1. Makes me want a sewing machine! I borrow my mother's whenever I need one. They turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Way to go mama! I definitely don't have the patience or stomach for that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your wipes!! Very colourful. We used cloth wipes for my little man, and even though he is using the toilet now, I still use a cloth wipe on his bum :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You go mama!!! These are so beautiful and you are so talented!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. super fun! great work! :) we are doing cloth diapers too but haven't decided on wipes - you are inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are gorgeous! Get thee to an Etsy shop, stat! (I'm not kidding. I would buy cloth wipers from you.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those wipes are so cute! When we use cloth nappies we use cloth wipes too, mostly because it means one trip rather than having to stop at the bin to throw out some baby wipes :p


    Felix has decided to do a big sloppy poop every time he feeds so I'm using disposables at the moment because it's too much time for cleaning them. We have lots of cloth nappies so I'm hoping once he is less 'regular' (and has fatter legs so they won't leak so much) we can get back to cloth. Cloth bums are the cutest!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never would have thought of cloth wipes too!! Genius!


    Sarah
    http://acatlikecuriosity.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. jess @ cupcakes and kaleJuly 31, 2012 at 7:08 AM

    these are so rad sara! my sewing skills are so basic but these are a square so i think i can handle that ;) i'm curious about this magical "surger" you speak of that would get the job done even more quickly..

    ReplyDelete
  10. You definitely can. My only sewing instruction came from home economics class with my last one being in 1999, so yes, very basic skills that I'm working on improving. Such a simple project. Sergers are basically amazing. You should look up more about them, but the basic of it is that it cuts and sews the edges of the fabric all in one motion, so for these wipes you would simple have the right sides facing out and just do one seam around the edge and be done. The results look a bit different, but it's so so so much quicker.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My sister uses baby wash clothes and I've read of so many other clothe diapering families doing this as well. Not my own idea, but a great one that seems like the next natural step if you're already cloth diapering.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, it makes such sense, just throw them all in the same place. Oh boy, hopefully Felix regulates soon and you can get back to cotton bottoms, but I totally understand the switching back and forth as needed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha, I was actually talking to E about this last night, how I would love to make and sell these if they didn't take so much time, so that I'd actually be able to make a profit. I'll still let the idea brew for a bit and see because I also really like the repetitive nature of making them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you! I would definitely recommend whipping some up. Even if you don't use them while traveling or out and about they'd be great for even just at home. Look at me being a cloth wipe pusher, I just love 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you. I love having the bright colors for brightening up our butt-wiping duties. :) I think we'll do the same as you as we move on to potty training in the future. Noelle (http://babyinbroad.blogspot.com/) posted about doing the same recently and it all just seems to make the most sense. You all are very inspiring and wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ha, thanks! Having worked with almost any animal poo imaginable (at a farm sanctuary and at an animal shelter) I've dealt with some nasty stuff, so hopefully my tolerance is still rather high. We'll see!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes on sewing machines! :) I'm just now getting back to mine since I have the time now, so hopefully lots of projects to come. And thank you! I had a lot of fun making them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi there! This post couldn't be written any better! Reading through this post reminds me of my previous room mate! He always kept chatting about this. I will forward this post to him. Fairly certain he will have a good read. Many thanks for sharing!

    Look at my webpage :: life insurance rates online

    ReplyDelete