Pages

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Project: Dresser Redo


Now that Nugget's room is nearing being finished, I thought I would share her dresser. Working together (me choosing paint and knobs and giving guidance and E doing all of the actual physical labor) we brought her dresser from looking like a pile of junk to something customized to our tastes and needs.

It was important to us that we found something low (around hip height) and long so it could double as her changing station and also that the entire project stay under or around $100. So, after a few trips to various thrift stores we found this beast beauty for $25 and we were ready to get started.


As you can see, it was in rough shape, but we could see beyond the scuffs, blonde color, and missing knobs and were more focused on it's good solid bones. What the dresser was lacking in looks it made up for in structure with it's solid hard wood frame and sturdy surface.


E originally planned to just give the entire thing a rough sanding before applying the paint, but after trying that out and having the sandpaper come out covered with gummy paste, due to the varnish, he realized it would need to be stripped first. We made a quick trip to the local True Value and found this stripper that seemed a bit more environmentally friendly so decided to give it a try. 


It definitely was less stinky, yet I didn't hang around much due to being with-Nugget, but E did fill me in on how it worked. He would basically glob the stuff on rather thickly and let it sit for 30 minutes to an hour and then wipe it off with shop rags and scrape it away with a basic putty/paint scraper, then wipe away the excess goop with wet rags or by spraying with a hose. This process was by far the most time-intensive, so he would do a bit each evening after work and slowly the entire thing was looking a lot less blonde and a lot more paintable. 


I don't have pictures of the in-between or the sanding, but after the stripping E smoothed wood putty into any grooves or holes and used a small hand-held sander to smooth the entire thing down, using plain old sandpaper for any curves or grooves he needed to get into. And after that it was on to the painting.


We chose to give it just one coat of paint to allow the wood's texture to show through a bit and we also chose to forgo sealing it as we prefer how it looks with more of a matte finish. 


Once the paint was all dry and ready, we added on these small ceramic knobs from World Market.   They each rang in at $1.99 each, but with a 10% off coupon we brought home all 10 for just around $20 even after tax. Not too bad for something cute and up-our-alley.


And although it took a lot longer than we anticipated due to having to add in the stripper step, it was still done in just a couple weeks of E working on it a bit at a time, and when I returned from the birth of my new niece, he surprised me by having it all finished up and in her room. My husband is definitely a keeper.


So, what's the breakdown? Well, we met all of our goals by finding something low, long, and under $100, even with the added stripper expense:

Dresser: $25
Stripper: $25
Paint: $25 (Awning MSL147 - Martha Stewart Living in Glidden Paint)
Knobs: $20 (World Market)
TOTAL: $95

I'm super satisfied with the cost, outcome, and functionality of this project and really happy to have a partner-in-crime who is always up for a little DIYing. Not only did we save money this way, we also have a solid piece of furniture (not a trace of particle board in sight) that will last a lifetime and that we were able to fully customize to our tastes. Hopefully Nugget likes it as much as we do!

Have you ever refurbished a piece of furniture for your own home? Did it go as planned or did you also find there were extra unanticipated steps along the way? Doing things yourself can definitely bring it's own set of challenges, but it also brings along it's own rewards and feelings of accomplishment and pride, don't you think?

Sara 

23 comments:

  1. you did an awesome job! i'm so glad you posted the paint color, i've been wanting a color like that for a while. i want to paint a mirror in our dining room. and i absolutely adore the knobs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks amazing!!! Great work!

    We are all about refurbishing or reusing. Both my dad and my hubby are woodworkers, so pretty much everything in our home has been made by one of them. And a lot of it is from reclaimed materials. My little mans dresser/change table was made out of beds my brother and I had as kids. And when my hubby makes something it is always from reclaimed wood - he collects it from old barns most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren @ crumbbums.comSeptember 13, 2012 at 7:37 PM

    Wow, Sara! It looks amazing! Such a great payoff for a lot of work, but not a lot of money. That hubby of yours is definitely a keeper! Hope you're resting up for the imminent arrival!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the color as well. And doesn't something unexpected *always* come up? lol. Looks great! So excited to open up Bloglovin' and see a 'going into labor / water broke / will update in a few days' post... (or am I too hopeful you'll think of us?) (;

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love how it turned out! I re-styled a cabinet as well once, making doors in it and painting it turquoise. The unexpected part was getting it upstairs. It was so so so heavy! I had some strong men to do it for me haha (dad + friend)


    http://magicaldaydream.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the dresser and your style. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the nursery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you! I swear I'll share more photos eventually, whether it's prior to her arrival or after, they will be shared. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome! Yeah, solid wood is the best, but so dang heavy. I couldn't even help due to the being pregnant bit, but with taking out drawers and moving things little by little I guess E somehow managed on his own.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, it does seem like projects always bring a bit of unexpected along with them. :) I will definitely be thinking of my blog friends, but won't be sharing anything until baby is here. We aren't even telling family or friends until she has made her arrival in order to keep things low-stress and pressure free.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you! I agree it's a nice payoff, I only wish I could have helped with more of the work, for I love a good project, but luckily E is a champ and lets me keep piling on the projects.


    And oh man, imminent arrival is right, can't believe she'll be here so soon. I'm just waiting for my body to clue me in to when that will be exactly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Kim! :) I love that you have so many handmade goods in your home, isn't it so nice? E has made us quite a few things as well and I'm sure will continue to over the years. I guess since we're so into DIY and such that I kind of take it for granted, but I am very thankful for that being a part of who we are and for having such a handy partner-in-crime.


    And I absolutely love that his dresser is made out of your old beds, what a great story...and also a bit jealous of all the salvaged wood from barns. :) I know the pictures of your backyard/garden/chicken coop/etc really show off your ability to reuse and refurbish and I really love that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks! We're pretty fond of that colorful hunk of wood. I wish you lived closer so we could give you the leftover paint for your project, but yes, there's the color at least. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Erin at momommy.blogspot.comSeptember 14, 2012 at 11:49 AM

    Wow, that looks amazing! I clicked over to you via Lauren at crumbbums. Congrats on your new little arriving so soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful!!! It's so nice that she will have such a gorgeous piece of furniture that she can always use!

    ReplyDelete
  15. -hug- wishing you the best!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I managed by myself because Heman

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Erin, and nice to "meet" you and for your kind words. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks! Yes, we love that she can use it forever (or as long as she'd like) and that it will stand the test of time. Hope you and baby are doing well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I managed on my own because I'm He-Man.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Of course, how could I forget. :) Love you more than ice cubes!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a GREAT and beautiful project!!! I love that color! My original plan was to have a long dresser that doubled for a changing station as well, but it didn't work out... I REALLY love what you did! Very cool!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks friend. I was worried we wouldn't find one after many trips that left us empty-handed, but I'm glad we did in the end.

    ReplyDelete