Pages

Friday, September 14, 2012

Project: Stenciled Onesies


I am here with another project to share: stenciled onesies. These are such a fun easy project and something I really think anybody can do.

Supplies needed: Plain Onesies (colors would be fun, but I only had these white ones on hand), freezer paper, xacto knife, iron, textile paint, foam brush, tape, pencil, images or text you would like to see on a onesie.


The first step is to create or find your image or text and sketch or print it out on plain paper. After you've acquired your image you will place a piece of freezer paper (glossy side down) on top and tape it into place. Next you simply trace around the image or text and then using your xacto knife, cut away the portions you want to have show up on the onesie. For instance, for this image I cut away the house outline and the words and left the larger sections. If cutting out letters be sure to reserve their inner portions.


The next step is why it is important to be using freezer paper, for the waxy side will stick to your fabric when set with the heat from your iron. So, place your stencil glossy side down on the front of your onesie, including any small cut away pieces like insides of "O's" or "A's". Using a warm iron carefully press the stencil into place being careful not to shift your freezer paper.  I found it most helpful to sort of tack down the stencil in a couple places with a small tap or two and then to work from the inside out, being sure to keep things smooth. Once it's all on give it a good iron across the entire image making sure the edges are all tacked down to keep paint out. I promise it's not as complicated as I'm making it sound, you're just applying heat to keep the stencil in place, simple as that.


Next comes the fun part, applying paint. IMPORTANT, before starting, place an extra sheet of freezer paper or cardboard inside of the onesie so your paint will only be applied to the front portion and not leak through. Next, using your textile paint of choice and a small foam brush gently paint the openings. I used a light tapping motion and a few coats to make sure the paint was nice and even.


After the paint is applied you simply need to allow it to dry before tearing away the freezer paper and revealing your image. Take it in, enjoy it, and then following the instructions on your paint container, break out the iron again and heat set your paint. This is what will give it more permanency through washes and wears. 


It really is as simple as that. I went ahead and made a few more as well because I was having so much fun. If you have older kids this is a great project they could help out with to make their own t-shirts, and since it goes rather quickly and involves paint it would probably keep their attention for at least long enough to make one or two.

The three designs I ended up with are below:




So what do you think? Have you done something similar or do you think you will give it a try? Let me know if you do!

Sara

p.s. Yes, we are planning a home birth, and I'll eventually get around to talking about that, probably once sweet girl is here. I know not everyone agrees with this, but please keep it positive as her birth is on the horizon and we need lots of good love and support coming our way. Otherwise, back to the onesies!

8 comments:

  1. These are so cute, you rock mama!! And yay for home birth. My little man was born at home and it was absolutely wonderful. There is something so magical about birthing at home, in your own surroundings with people you trust and love. Enjoy every moment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How amazing! What a great job you did! :) And congrats on choosing the home birth method... I was seriously considering it but decided to take an alternate option due to insurance stuff.... I think it's amazing and I think you'll remember it for the rest of your life!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Yeah, the insurance part is tricky and really sucks since home birth is actually extremely cheaper, but you know how it goes! :) Our midwives work through a billing company that specializes in billing home birth and midwifery services, but it's not clear if we'll get any reimbursement or not yet. We'll definitely be trying everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kim! :) We are hoping to have a really low-stress experience and we know trying to do things at home was the only way to really keep it that way for us. I'm glad to "know" others who have been down the same road before. I'm actually really looking forward to it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it- and your dresser too. I have the hardest time commenting on your blog for some reason with my cell phone (which is the way I read everything these days!). Hope this works.

    xo Lilly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lauren @ crumbbums.comSeptember 17, 2012 at 9:59 AM

    Cute onesies! I love them all!


    And good for you for planning a home birth. I had 3 natural births with my boys, my middle was born at home and my last could have been born at home but there aren't a lot of good home-birthing options here in Missouri, unfortunately! Good luck! I'm sure you'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you! :) I'm having a hard time finding a commenting system that works where I can respond to everyone directly and this is the best I've found so I hope it works out its glitches soon, for I really enjoy hearing from everyone and having more of a conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Lauren. :) I love hearing that you had all natural births as well and even one at home! It's such an exciting thing, but as I'm sure you know it can be hard to find others who have been through the same, especially off the internet. We are in Missouri as well and did have quite a time finding a home birth option that worked for us. We were originally hoping for a birth center due to our location and huge amount of animals, but since we don't have one here yet, we went ahead and found a really amazing midwife team we have been working with since around 26 weeks and really feel good about things now. It was definitely a process though. And thank you for the good luck and such. I'm pretty excited about it all. Still not sure what exactly to expect, but feeling capable and just trying to put trust in my body and the process. :)

    ReplyDelete