Pages

Monday, October 22, 2012

Family Adventures: Shaw Nature Reserve

With relatively warm weather and a restless Sara this weekend called for an adventure. Since becoming Botanical Garden members early in the year and finding out about Shaw Nature Reserve, we have been itching to take a visit. Now seemed like as good of time as any to start exploring nature with Iz, so we bundled up, packed a lunch, and set off for the Reserve.


 The entire walk was completely filled with wildflowers, changing leaves, and scuttling squirrels. Iz might not be able to really enjoy it yet, but her Daddy and I were sure to take it all in.

All of the paved areas we came across had these wonderful imprints of various trees, foliage  and animal tracks. I thought that was really neat and something kids would really love as well.

Wearing our baby and the hat I knit just for him? Super hunky. 

This sod house was really interesting to explore (yes, you can go inside) and it rekindled my desire to take a visit to Dancing Rabbit Ecovillage during one of their visitor periods. 

There was also a Tipi to explore. It will be so fun to come back here with Iz through the years and for her to learn about these different forms of shelter. 

 Inside the Bascom House we saw this rather large arrowhead collection that had been donated by a volunteer. I will always have a soft spot for arrowheads as hunting for and collecting them was one of my Dad's favorite hobbies and I will always remember those days of stopping by an upturned stretch of land and trekking through the dirt in search of these tiny treasures. 

It was wonderful being there with my sweet girl. I hope she will enjoy nature just as much as we do. I think we're off to a good start.





It was a great afternoon of exploring and we already can't wait to go back. We walked around for a couple hours, but only saw such a small slice of what Shaw Nature Reserve has to offer. With so many acres to explore we will be heading back in the Spring with a bigger baby and a bigger picnic basket. 

Have you been on any fun nature adventures lately? What kinds of things do you do with your kids to help in creating an appreciation for nature? I'd love to hear about it.

Sara

6 comments:

  1. It's so much fun get outside after having a baby. We dragged our little guy out in the worst snow and he was a very small baby (I look back and think we might have been nuts!). Also, love that hat you knit. I can never bother to follow a pattern and I'm impressed with that fancy design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your baby wearing hunk :) And the fact he is wearing hand knits too is awesome!!! This looks like a lovely spot to visit, so much to explore. Glad you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. I actually thought of you and Reece and all of your nature walks while we were there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes I feel nuts too...like for bringing her out shopping at three days old, but she did well and we did well, so I guess it's all okay. You are brave for dragging him out in the snow though. I'm kind of already dreading the snowy days and car seat transfers, but I'm sure it'll be just fine. And thanks for the hat compliments. I've only been knitting about a year and a half so I've ben keeping to simple patterns while throwing in a new challenge here and there. Slowly but surely I'll figure it all out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How absolutely sweet! We have been out too and I think going further out (not requiring a stroller) would be extra snazzy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, most definitely. I'm a bit bummed about this cooler weather moving in, but I guess it had to happen eventually. :)

    ReplyDelete