A couple of days ago Lauren over at Crumb Bums nominated me for a Liebster Award. I think that basically means she asks the questions and I answer, so here ya go!
1. Favorite band/musician? There are so many songs that set things right in my soul, but one band that holds a special place in my heart is The Mountain Goats. There is a day I remember with such clarity. I was lying in the yard of the intern house during my stint at a farm animal sanctuary in upstate New York. With a pen in one hand, scribbling thoughts into a journal, cows grazing to my left and hens pecking to my right, sun shining down and warming my skin after a couple of rough winter months of working outdoors, and with The Mountain Goats playing on my portable speaker, I felt more at peace and more happy than I had in years. That moment provided me with so much clarity at the time.
2. What is the household chore you secretly enjoy (or don’t mind) doing? Anything in the kitchen. Although we have a dishwasher in this home and I very rarely wash our dishes by hand I actually really enjoy doing so. Really though, most things in the kitchen are enjoyable to me, cooking dinner, baking, making pickles, dishes, organizing, just about all of it. I really hope for our next home to have a large warm kitchen that can become the hub of our home.
3. If you had to choose one place to live for the rest of your life, where would it be? This question is tough for me. So many places tug at my heartstrings, but the one place I always long for is New York, upstate of course. My months spent there were so wonderful, but not only because of the work I was doing, I really fell in love with the land. With rolling hills, gorges, and abundant lakes all of my needs were fulfilled, the hills and gorges perfect for hiking and the enormous lakes perfect for kayaking. I think I could really be happy there for a long time.
4. In lieu of the upcoming holiday; pies: pumpkin or pecan? I'm going to go hide under a table for protection and then say I'm not really a big fan of pies. I am starting to come around in my older years as I find the good quality ones, but this season I'm sticking to making a vegan pumpkin cheesecake and calling it a day, a very tasty day.
5. What are your favorite things to place atop a burger? First let's talk about the burger. I need a base of a handmade black bean burger and lightly toasted whole wheat bun to wrap it all together. To top that beauty give me a crunchy leaf of romaine lettuce, a few slices of avocado, a few quality bread and butter pickles, and a smidge of organic ketchup, a bit of spicy mustard or some veganaise depending on my mood.
6. Do you believe in ghosts? I really don't know. The whole idea of ghosts is kind of confusing to me, but I'm also afraid to say I don't believe in ghosts and then having something creepy happen to me. I will say that I have memories of waking up in my first memorable home and seeing men and women dressed in victorian-like attire sitting around and atop our living room furniture across the hall. Thinking of this gives me shivers.
7. Have you ever broken a bone? If so, how did it happen? Not yet, hopefully not ever.
8. Wearing socks to bed: do or don’t? Normally it's a huge don't, but lately when our girl is sleeping with me I wear socks to keep warm as I'm unable to roll myself up into my usual cocoon.
9. What do you consider your biggest accomplishment thus far? Giving birth to my daughter. Having her at home and on my own terms and being able to tap into a part of myself that was so strong and capable was so important to me and something that I really needed. I'm sure I'll get around to sharing the entire story one day, when I'm ready.
10. What do you consider the funniest part of parenting? I'm not even two months in, so do not have many experiences to go pull from, but you know when you have spit up running down your body and a baby grunting out a poo while you hold her to your chest? How can you not laugh at that. Oh, and just this morning I let out a deep sigh as I felt liquid gushing down the front of me as I was certain she had a diaper leak and I was covered with pee. E took her to change her diaper and clothes but found her to be dry. What was really happening? Oh, you know, just a strong and steady stream of breast milk flowing down my body. Kind of hilarious really.
11. How do you take your coffee (this is important, you know, so I can buy you the right one when we hopefully meet- or meet again- someday)? Mmm. I like a basic soy latte. I had my first today after over ten months without one and it was delightful.
With an Old Friend
Thanks for the questions Lauren!