Pages

Monday, December 3, 2012

Learning Patience


You would think with a nearly ten week old baby at home that a title like "Learning Patience" may have something to do with her and the care-taking that is involved when you are responsible for caring for a little human, but no, you would be mistaken. Take a good long look at those cuties up there, looking so innocent and well-behaved as they lounge together. Cute, right? I myself can even admit they are totally adorable, but on days like today I have to wonder how crazy I really am to think I will come out on top, the equation looks more like 1 cat + 3 dogs + 1 baby = one frazzled mama. Really, it is usually not so bad and we get by, but today, oh today, me and I walked out into the family room after getting her all dry and cozy after a fun time in the bath, she didn't even cry when having to get out of the water. I was feeling like Super Mama and began stacking the pillows just so in preparation for nursing my little lady before what I was sure would be a snuggly nap for her and a little free time for me. In a last step of preparation I fetched myself a large glass of cool water and sat it on a tray near the couch before trying to get to the couch myself. That's when I nearly tripped over a cat who refused to move and when nudging her to the side that sweet swirly dog you see above decided to pounce, as he tends to do, causing a flurry of chaos as I see my water crash to the ground with glass and water flying every which way. I was a patient girl as she waited for her meal and I hurried to grab towels and gather glass out from under four sets of curious paws. I quickly cleaned up and all was well, another cup of water was fetched, in one of our few plastic cups this time, and I was finally able to scoop our girl back up for her meal. A few minutes in and I hear another crash, looking over to see Jasper's bowl broken to pieces, food and slivers of ceramic all over the floor, a cat looking down on her work from a perch above and an always hungry chihuahua trying to get at the food himself. I soon finished nursing I and moved on to sweeping up the latest in the furry path of destruction when what do I hear but an ornament fall to the ground as a cat goes rocketing off across the room. Oh dear.

Those moments, those times of seemingly endless chaos and clean ups are enough to keep a head spinning, but I am doing my best to turn them around. Rather than letting these occurrences send me into a state of stress, I am choosing to look at them as lessons in patience. This will not be the last time a glass will break or my day will be thrown off by something unexpected. So, I calmly clean up the mess, and then the other. I keep moving the ornaments up higher and higher and I hand out a cuddle here and a head scratch there and try my best to let it all go, to do what needs to be done and realize we are all just living our lives, all of us following different agendas, but sharing the same space, and it's better I practice patience with the animals now before our girl is making messes of her own. Really, I am lucky, for glasses to break, for a home for them to be broken inside of, for clean water for drinking and a plentiful stack of towels for cleaning up said water when it is spilled. Patience can be a tricky one to get a handle of, but it seems I will have plenty of chances to practice.

Sara

14 comments:

  1. basically the equation is that you have four toddlers and a baby in your hands. i have decided that having pepper is like having the equivalent of a toddler that never grows up. just yesterday i caught her ripping the tree skirt off with her teeth and dragging it into her crate. it was waving in the wind like a bridal veil a couple days ago i went to put owsley down for his nap, and i came downstairs to see pepper had jumped on top of the kitchen table and was licking the remnants of gage's hot cocoa out of his mug. neither of these are things she would have done if i would have been downstairs with her. so yeah, you have my sympathies. i may have two kids, but i can't imagine having more than one pet. :) at least my kids listen to me....sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah the fun of motherhood with pets underfoot. I have a few stories like this one from my early days as a mama...like you we had three dogs and a cat, it was fun and a little trying at times. Hang in there mama.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful outlook to have! They sure are sweet, those pets of yours - and they're probably lucky they're so sweet from the sound of it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting to say congratulations on your beautiful baby girl, but the browser I was using wasn't supported, apparently (I have been reading, though). I finally downloaded Google Chrome, so congratulations! I admire your bravery in having a newborn plus 3 dogs plus 1 cat! I have three dogs plus two cats and it can be overwhelming (except when they're sleeping, ha).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Three dogs?! I don't think I realized you had that many, and you are very brave. They are so cute and lovable... but a whole lot of work. I love dog and cat cuddles too, cutest ever :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohh so much work. I only had the one but then we ended up with two more plus the cat in a span of maybe a year and a half. The cat came to us from my father's property after her passed away and the other two dogs I blame on my taking a job at an animal shelter...I should have known to expect that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for the congratulations. I don't know how brave I am, maybe a bit crazy. ha. It is a bit overwhelming, but they were our kids before the little skin-covered one came along, so what can ya do, you know? :) Definitely a bit chaotic at times, but we get by one way or another.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha, yes, very lucky. They are about equal parts rotten and sweet, but we love them regardless. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is a bit trying at times, but I'll be excited for Izzy to have pets in the home. I'm just hoping as they all age a bit more and continue to settle into their own rhythm that we will be doing even better. That swirly one is still quite a pup at only two years old, so he can be quite rowdy and instigate his fair share of chaos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha, how true. Pepper sounds like a handful herself, but aren't they all? I really want to make a tree skirt, but know that I would be crazy to do so. Between a puppy mill rescue chihuahua who still has accidents here and there, a crazy cat, and a dog that is obsessed with all things fabric, well, I would just be asking for trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, man! That is so rough. Breaking things totally freaks me out. I'm always worried I won't sweep up all the pieces! Good luck with the animals and baby.. When Gus was born we had four dogs and as much as I miss the other two I'm grateful for smaller pack...because these two we have are way more than enough. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know it's not funny as it's happening, but one day you'll read this post again and maybe giggle a little? Your furry critters are so thoughtful to give you lots of lessons in patience. Oh - and my tree is naked on the bottom - LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh tell me about it, broken glass really is the worst. Even when you think you have it all, there's always more. And yeah, these four are here for the long haul, but we are definitely keeping it down to two in the future, or at least until we have more space or older kids to help out more. It's just too crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha, I can only hope! Our trees probably look pretty similar, ours has a really naked bottom too and Roxy helps me to keep it that way. :)

    ReplyDelete