Pages

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

December 10, 2013

I won't fill this post with too many comments on how fast time is flying because you already know, right? Today during an extremely long nap I began reading through old posts - Iz still new in my belly old - and it made me miss this space. As those with a toddler or baby or any aged child knows there is not much free time in ones days and while that is true I do find a bit of free time at night, but have been filling it with knitting as fast as my not-super-experienced knitter hands can manage because while I do not recommend waiting to start your holiday knitting until November, that is what I did and now my stubborn as a mule ways are making me see it through. Four In-Threes have been bound off and are waiting for blocking and buttons, a hat has been cast on, as has a scarf and there is one more hat to go. Finishing each one is satisfying but next year remind me to stick to all hats and to start a lot sooner, okay? I don't think I'll forget.

Otherwise we have been lucky to spend a lot of time with my sister and the girls since they have moved back. She is staying at home with them for now and it's been quite the treat to be able to see them so often. We have been on a bit of a hiatus since Thanksgiving as everyone has been having sickness running its course, but it seems all is on the upswing now and we will be able to return to playing and visiting here soon. Speaking of Thanksgiving, it was wonderful. For the first time in so many years my entire immediate family was able to be in the same place at the same time on an actual holiday to enjoy it together. Iz has really opened up to allowing others to interact with, hold, and play with her lately so it is even more enjoyable than in the past. Seeing her happy in someone else's arms is something I thought would never happen, but it does now and then these days and it's great to see other people be able to shower her with the love they've been saving back for her all those months she was glued to me alone. She is still quite glued to me 92% of the time but these small changes are fun. The best change for mama? Sometimes she and E will take a nap together and I am left to my own devices in my own home during the daylight hours. It's like a mini vacation. One filled with lots of knitting these days, but I can see myself having some long stretches of time to write, craft, clean, exercise or any other number of things after the holidays.  E has also taken over bath duty (what is happening as I type) so Iz can have some time with him alone to connect and play during the week. I'm in no hurry for her to outgrow needing me so much, but it does help me to feel a bit more balanced and capable to have a few moments to myself from time to time.

Well, anyway...now that I have checked back in maybe I will try to do so a few more times throughout the holiday season to share some of the projects and activities we have been up to. I hope to have more time for reflective writing come the new year but just peaking in now and then until then sounds like something I might be able to manage.

I hope everyone is well and enjoying this season. Have you been doing much crafting or celebrating? Whatever you have been up to I hope you have been enjoying it!

Sara

9 comments:

  1. Kim Corrigan-OliverDecember 10, 2013 at 7:33 PM

    So nice to see you in your space. That pic of Izzy..wow, she is beautiful my friend. Isn't daddy bath time wonderful, we do the same here and it is so nice to have those few moments to chill. And time alone in your home while they sleep...heaven. Enjoy every moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is so beautiful! So happy to come here and read today, love reading an update! Merry merry Christmas my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daddy bath time is the best and right now they are napping together. So good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas to you as well! I'm terrible at having time on an actual computer lately but always read your posts on my phone once Iz falls asleep on me and love seeing all of the fun advent activities you five have been doing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure where that baby went! I was looking through pictures last night and had to stop because of the knot in my stomach. So fun to see them grow but oh dear.


    And yes, so magical to have a few minutes alone and it is a certain kind of special when they are out and about and I am here. Strange but wonderful too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lauren @ crumbbums.comDecember 16, 2013 at 12:11 PM

    Izzy is getting so big! Happy Holidays to you and yours, Sara. You are such a positive presence on this space!

    xo

    Lauren http://www.crumbbums.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is such an adorable little girl - I love her outfit. :) I'm glad you are getting some more bits of time to yourself! There will be more for sure as the years go on. I'm envious you can knit, I've always wanted to learn! Hope you are having a cozy holiday. I can't believe Christmas is right around the corner!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So big! Not sure how it happened so fast but I am so happy to have a healthy happy girl. Happy Holidays to you all as well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you. Those little bits of time to myself are sparse, but all the more appreciated for their infrequency. You should most definitely learn to knit! :) I just took a class at a local yarn shop a couple of years ago and have kept building on it from there. It seems daunting but is pretty simple once you get the hang of things. Have a wonderful Christmas with your three guys. :)

    ReplyDelete