Pages

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

A Year of Projects: Projects 27, 28 & 29

This year I am to complete 52 projects - here are some of them: 

Project 27: Honeycomb Shelves for I's Room. I had been wanting something to fill the wall above Isadora's dresser and also some shelving to display her treasures, so I sent the idea for honeycomb shelves E's way and he liked the idea as well and put it into action. We chose this tutorial to follow and are so pleased with the outcome. I know things will be constantly shifting and changing up there as our girl changes and grows herself and I look forward to seeing the shelves, their contents and our little girl transforming over time.



Project 28: A Birthday Hat for a friend. This one is for one of I's best friends, a girl who looks great in red.



Project 29: A Birthday Dress for I. A week before I's birthday I was really itching to find her a dress with birds on it for her bird birthday party and then a link to a sale on The Sally Dress pattern  popped up in my instagram feed, inspiring me to purchase the pattern, run to the fabric store and get to work. I am a very inexperienced sewer and found myself a bit frustrated at times with my inexperience, but I love how the dress turned out, I loves the dress (especially the big pockets) and I love continuing to grow in my skill-set, even when it leaves me frustrated...maybe that's when I'm learning the most.


This years goal has really pushed me to try new things, to dive in to the projects I have been wanting to accomplish for years and to not worry about everything being perfect. Sometimes things don't work out the first time, sometimes they are wonderful and quick, and other times there might be a few tears of confusion, but it has all been such an incredible challenge and experience for me, especially in letting go of perfectionism and in pushing myself to try new things. Have you ever felt that your creative journey has helped you to grow?

Sara

4 comments:

  1. Goodness, such wonderful things you are making. Love, love, love the honeycomb shelves, and that dress, adorable. YES on the creative journey and growth, from developing my will to get a project done to challenging me in new ways. Always growing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The shelves are my favorite! Your musings on sewing really resonate with me. I'm trying not to let the imperfections ruin the experience of creating something with my own hands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! And YES! Just dive in and see what happens. The worst that can happen is things don't turn out as planned but even that is a wonderful learning experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! We are having a lot of fun with our projects and seeing out house slowly but surely come together in a way that feels right to me and for us! :) And yes, always always growing. Today we are making candles and it's exciting to think of what we will learn from that experience.

    ReplyDelete