Pages

Tuesday, February 23, 2016

What We've Been Up To Mid-February

Our days are as full as ever right now as we continue working on our home and carrying on in our general day to day to-dos with our girls. Work on the house is coming along and big things will be happening before we know it I am sure, but more on that later. Here are some of the things the girls and I have been up to during our weekdays together.

When working on downsizing and organizing the art room - still a ways to go - I decided all of the old unused crayons, many from when E and I were kids ourselves, needed to go and so I broke them all up and the next day we finally did the whole making rainbow crayons out of the pieces thing with some old molds I already had. Was a fun way to use them up but in the end we still really don't need more crayons. Iz uses her beeswax crayons almost exclusively, along with other art materials, and while she did request to give some to friends (and we did) there are still a lot left that we may donate or pass along elsewhere to spread the rainbow crayon love and to help our downsizing along. This was definitely fun though. 




These past couple of weeks also contained Valentines Day and while we have never been big time celebrators, I upped my game this year as having kiddos makes me want to celebrate just about everything and make it as special as I can. Iz and O received some crafty valentines from their GG and Grandpa and I had fun putting them together. We then used them to decorate the back door window, along with a few crafty watercolor hearts. 


Early in Valentine's Day week I cut a bunch of hearts out of watercolor paper and Iz painted them for over two hours, asking for more and more. I kept my scissors cutting, she kept the paint brushing and O mostly crawled around exploring. Once they were dry she chose who she wanted each one to go to and I wrote her messages on the back for her and prepared envelopes and she did the stamping before putting them in the mailbox and flipping up the flag to send them on their way to brighten people's days.



I also finished up our healing cream after having the herbs do their thing in oil for a couple of months and poured ourselves a jar before filling tins with what was left. When Iz woke up in the morning and saw them she started moving them around and saying who she wanted to give each one to. I love when she thinks of ways to share kindness without prompting so we got out some stickers and she decorated the tops for each of the friends she wanted to give one to and we were finally able to see everyone and pass them out this week. 


O is always on the go and exploring our home. She is so close to walking, having taken a few steps here and there, but not fully taking off just yet. We are all excited to see how excited SHE will be when she puts it all together and can really chase after big sis. 


We never got around to making hand and footprint ornaments and mistle-toes for O back in December so we squeezed that in one day before her bits grew any bigger. 



Lots of healthy food making. It can be a challenge and things aren't exactly how we'd like them to be but we are constantly trying to find a groove and to focus on minimizing sugar especially. One way we've done that is by making our own almond milk. We have been doing so for a couple of months now so it finally feels like part of our routine and not a big deal. We don't use a ton but do like to have it for recipes and our banana, nut butter, raw cacao smoothies we all love. 



Another one I had been wanting to do for awhile and something I really enjoys. We have done this (a pan of baking soda with tinted vinegar squirted on with pipettes) a couple of times on our own and I set it up for a little valentines day playdate the friday before the holiday with purple and red. Always a hit! 


So much time hanging out in our kitchen. Sometimes it seems like we, or at least I, spend more time there then anywhere with all the meal making and dish washing and dance party having. I love when I can sit back and just watch my girls play and explore together. 



Our girls have always been close. Really, I and all the animals are pals and it's such a wonderful thing to see. We've promised her chickens once we move and O is two and she talks about how she will be their mama and care for them and tuck them in at night and on and on. We've told her that if we moved to the country she could have even more animals but she is set on being close to people and so are we, for now, so probably just chickens and that will be plenty for all of us at this stage of our lives. 


And of course so much painting and coloring. Iz paints for hours each week and I'm so interested to see where this takes her as she grows. Will she always love to paint? Will she move on to other things? Nobody knows, but I don't doubt that she will always be an artist.




And that's that. We are having some pretty full days as we approach O turning one, all of the house projects, and taking care of the day to day life which is plenty on it's own, but we are happy and just loving one another and craving time together. The good thing is that this week is O's birthday and then my own so we have plenty of family time planned to soak one another up.

No comments:

Post a Comment